Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill E. Norwegian Street
A 126-bed acute care general acute care hospital serving the residents of Schuylkill County, PA. Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill E. Norwegian Street is a general acute care, not-for-profit hospital meeting the health care needs of the residents of Schuylkill County, PA. It is accredited by the Joint Commission.
Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill E. Norwegian Street has a long history of service to the community dating back to its founding in 1920. Its original name was the A.C. Miliken Hospital, a 30-bed converted home, which was established by a group of area physicians. The hospital first became a Catholic facility in 1929 when it was placed in the hands of the Missionary Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. It was at this time the facility was renamed the Good Samaritan Hospital. The following year, the hospital moved to more spacious accommodations in the Francis W. Hughes Mansion and grew to 60-patient beds. Good Samaritan has remained at this location, literally growing up around the mansion, which remained standing until the mid-1950s. The hospital continued evolving through the years to its present 159 beds.
In 1980, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul accepted the invitation to assume sponsorship of the hospital from the Missionary Sisters. The Daughters' sponsorship allowed Good Samaritan Hospital to remain a Catholic healthcare facility and continue its mission of service to the sick and poor. This affiliation also provides the hospital with the benefits of shared resources through Ascension Health.
On August 1, 2008, Schuylkill Health became the new parent organization resulting from the merger of Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center and The Pottsville Hospital and Warne Clinic. Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center became Schuylkill Medical Center – East Norwegian Street. On Sept. 15, 2016, Schuylkill Health became part of Lehigh Valley Health Network. Schuylkill Medical Center – East Norwegian Street became Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill E. Norwegian Street.
Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill S. Jackson Street
Founded in 1895, Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill S. Jackson Street is a 179-bed, general, acute care, not-for-profit, community hospital meeting the health care needs of the residents of Schuylkill County. It is accredited by the Joint Commission.
Founded in 1895 as The Hospital of Pottsville under the mission of providing general health care and educating nurses, Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill S. Jackson Street has grown to offer a wide variety of general and specialty services.
The Hospital of Pottsville's founding actually began in 1893 when Samuel and Elizabeth Shippen, a brother and sister from Philadelphia, began to plan and organize a hospital that would be created in memory of their father and mother.
Their parents lived in Pottsville for more than 50 years. John Shippen, their father, had been a prominent citizen and president of the Miners National Bank. Therefore, they selected Pottsville as the most suitable place for the proposed hospital.
They knew that there was a great need for such an institution in this area, for there were many railroads, mining, and industrial establishments in and near Pottsville with many people who required the kind of medical attention that could be received only in a hospital.
Through local attorney Guy E. Farquhar and a group of community leaders and concerned citizens, The Hospital of Pottsville was founded, chartered on March 5, 1895 in the Schuylkill County Court of Common Pleas as a 50-bed general hospital and accepted its first patient on July 23, 1895. The Shippens contributed $30,000 to help finance the hospital's creation and continued to support the facility thereafter. Additionally, local churches and other organizations and individuals made contributions in support of the new hospital.
The property known as the Laurer Mansion and 2 1/2 acres of adjoining ground were purchased so the hospital would have at least three acres of land.
The first patient was a 12-year-old girl. Within the first week, five patients were received. During the first year, 135 patients were cared for in the hospital. The following year, 411 patients were admitted and each year, thereafter, services became increasingly in demand. In 1898, Elizabeth Shippen established a $20,000 endowment for the hospital and continued to support the efforts of the institution. After her death, she willed a generous contribution to the hospital.
The average cost per patient during that time was $1.31.
Over the ensuing years, the hospital continued to grow, advance and develop new services and offer the latest technology, attracting medical and other professionals from all fields and helping the county in its efforts to attract business and industry to the area. Many expansions and additions were completed over the years, new services were offered and new technology introduced. Expansion included the merging with the Lemos B. Warne Clinic and Hospital of Pottsville in the mid 1960's.
On August 1, 2008, Schuylkill Health became the new parent organization resulting from the merger of Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center and The Pottsville Hospital and Warne Clinic. The Pottsville Hospital and Warne Clinic became Schuylkill Medical Center – South Jackson Street. On Sept. 15, 2016, Schuylkill Health became part of Lehigh Valley Health Network. Schuylkill Medical Center–South Jackson Street became Lehigh Valley Hospital–Schuylkill S. Jackson Street.